From January 2013 Helen will be running an exciting new creative writing workshop programme, The Writers’ Workshop, held monthly at The Dance Workshop in Moseley.
The next workshop in the programme will take place on Wednesday June 26th. The theme will be ‘Perception’, inspired by the Metropolis exhibition at the Birmingham Art Gallery. Writers will use photographs of contemporary and classical art to inspire the words, exploring the truth of the images, and the stories behind them. How we perceive the images will be of particular interest – and on this occasion I’ll encourage free writing, and writing in note form, before writers shape the work into a format of their choice.
Whether an experienced writer, a budding writer, or completely new to the craft, you’re welcome to take part and explore your creative aspirations with professional guidance and support.
What makes The Writers’ Workshop different?
- We’ll keep the energy with lots of fast paced writing exercises, which the group will be guided through (content may include poetry, character, play-writing, script writing & short story writing)
- Most of the time in the workshop will be spent writing.
- Writers will be encouraged to judge their own work and to listen – without an agenda.
- Workshops are small, motivational, & tailor-made to suit (we’ll have a ‘subject box’ into which you can forward your ideas for the next session. Each month we’ll pick a theme, and work on it. )
- The focus of the workshops will be on PROCESS – not the final product.
By joining The Writers’ Workshop you will be joining a unique writing community, helping build a new and exciting creative circle in one of the most dynamic and inspiring places in Birmingham.
Cost: £7 per person, per session.
Time: 11am – 1pm
The first available slot will be the 24th April, and will cost £15 for the hour.
Helen Calcutt is a successful professional writer, with a strong background in teaching and creative partnerships. The Dance Workshop is a beautiful arts venue, dedicated to providing a means for people to express themselves creatively through the mediums of dance, music, drama and poetry.
For more details and/or to register, please contact The Dance Workshop: telephone: (44) 121 442 2286, or you can contact Helen directly, email@example.com